Office of International Student Services

Thank you for visiting our homepage. Located just 90 miles east of Chicago and connected by interstate highways, a regional airport, and rail/bus lines to the rest of the world, our campus offers the warmth and security of a smaller college, but the mix of recreational facilities, arts venues, museums, libraries, and abundance of nearby higher education institutions that is typically found only at universities in larger metropolitan areas.

100+Undergraduate and Graduate programs

27,000+Alumni in the U.S. and more than 60 countries 

Majors and Programs

A complete list of IU South Bend degrees and certificates is available through our campus Bulletin. Please be aware that F-1 students may not be eligible to enter all the degree and certificate programs listed in the Bulletin. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to write to us at or  +1-574-520-4119.

First Year

You should apply as a beginning freshman if you have completed or are scheduled to complete the entire (primary/secondary) university preparatory sequence in the country where you studied and have been awarded a diploma/certificate of completion.


You are should apply as a graduate student if you have completed undergraduate study toward a bachelor's degree or are scheduled to complete this schooling, and you are seeking a master's degree.


You are a Transfer Student if:
  • You have attended a university or postsecondary institution after graduating from high school
  • You have not received a bachelor's degree
  • You wish to pursue a second bachelor's degree in a different discipline


The visa stamp is a document issued by the US Department of State that grants you entry into the United States as a non-immigrant student.
Remember, you will not be able to enter the US on an expired visa.
Please note that you should not plan on entering the US in a different visa category such as Tourist (B-2) with the intention to study or start a degree program.

Steps to getting your Visa:

  1. Determine Your Visa Type
    As a non-immigrant student requesting permission to enter the United States you will most likely be applying for an F-1 student visa. In some cases, students partnering in a formal exchange program will be applying for a J-1 student visa.
  2. Pay the SEVIS Fee
  3. Locate US Embassy & Schedule a Visa Appointment
    Locate a US Embassy in your home country  here
  4. Documents you will need for your visa interview
    • I-20 or DS-2019 Valid Passport
    • SEVIS Payment Receipt
    • Visa Application Form
    • Current financial documentation: documents indicating the source(s) and amount(s) of financial support for your study in the current academic year. This must match the information listed on your I-20.
    • Please check with the US Embassy where your appointment is being held if they require any additional documents besides the ones listed above.
  5. Prepare for Your Interview
    Applying for a US visa is similar to applying for benefits from any government—a lot of preparation and patience is required.
    Obtaining a Visa (U.S. Department of State)

Scholarships and Loans

You may be eligible for some scholarships to assist in lowering your costs. Be sure to read the application carefully to ensure you are eligible with respect to residency, immigration status, enrollment status and other requirements before submitting it.

Students who remain academically eligible and document need may apply in their second semester of enrollment at IU South Bend for the International Student Fee Remission Scholarship (see details just below) which grants awards between $4,000.00 and $6,000.00 annually.

International Student Fee Remission Scholarships are available to highly qualified, non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 status who have been enrolled for at least one year.

Ready to get started?

Online Application

The $60 application fee is required of all applicants and is non-refundable. You may make payment at the time you submit your electronic application by using your credit card. Please contact the Office of International Student Serivces at, if you require assistance.