International Student Services and International Programs at IU South Bend invite you to think globally and celebrate locally with this year's virtual International Education Week Celebration! International Education Week (IEW), November 14-18, 2022, is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.
International Education Week 2022
Please join us in the celebration by checking out our International Student Services and International Programs social media pages and look for updates in the Daily Titan!
Office of International Student Services
Calendar of Events
Calendar of Events
Sunday – November 13
History Club Fall Trip to Field Museum.
- 9am – South Bend Airport
- Join the History Club's trip to the Field Museum. Explore how the Field Museum connects all of us to the natural world and the human story with wings dedicated to Asia, Africa, Latin America, and other corners of the globe. Email Club Treasurer, Kevin Price at email@example.com sign up.
Monday – November 14
International Bookmark Writing
- 10:30am – 1pm – University Grill
- International students and multilinguists will help you write your name or phrase in another alphabet or language, and you’ll take home an International Education Week bookmark.
International Education Week Lecture: Polish Support for Ukraine
- 4pm - 5pm - Wiekamp Hall 1185
- Learn how Kamil Kijek and his network in Western Poland are supplying soldiers fighting in Ukraine. Dr. Kamil Kijek, Professor of Jewish Studies, University of Wroclaw, is a historian and sociologist. He hosted IU South Bend’s Fulbright Fellow, Dr. Lisa Zwicker, during her recent stay in Poland to conduct research, and she now welcomes him to IU South Bend as a guest lecturer.
Tuesday – November 15
Université de Toulon Faculty Exchange Program Information Session
- 10am – UCET Classroom, NS 245, or Zoom
- Join an information session about the IU South Bend faculty who have taught in Université de Toulon et du Var as part of a faculty-exchange program. Learn about the program from the faculty who have taught in Toulon France in the past few years
Japanese Dance Performance and Lesson
- 10:30am – 12pm – Student Activity Center Rooms 221, 223, 225
- Professor Yoshiko Green and guest lecturer Akane Yamakita will discuss and demonstrate traditional Japanese dances. Come join in the dance!
Study Abroad Table
- 11am – 1pm - University Grill
- Students who have participated in past opportunities will be on hand to share details for upcoming study abroad trips. Pick up a scoop of nachos and cheese, and munch as you learn.
Irish Dance Performance and Lesson
- 12pm – 1pm – Student Activity Center Rooms 221, 223, 225
- Join Michael McMillion, an IU South Bend alumni and champion Irish Dancer, as he demonstrates Irish dance steps and invites you to step in time!
Ireland Information Session
- 1pm – 2pm - Wiekamp 3160
- Join Ireland trip leaders in an information session about the Ireland International program that will be offered this summer. Come for the information and stay for the chocolate biscuits!
International Fashion Show
- 1pm – 2:30pm – University Grill
- International students will model traditional wear with a modern flair. Learn more about the cultures that breathe life into the warp and weft.
Wednesday – November 16
- 11:30am – 1:30pm – University Grill
- IU South Bend international students will share their culture, traditions and insights that revolve around sharing a beverage together.
On Not taking the Straight Path: Notes from a life of words, art, and food, here and abroad
- 12pm – 1pm – Wiekamp Faculty Lounge
- Lisa Barnett de Froberville, editor of Edible Michiana and an instructor of French at Ivy Tech, will come and talk about her work as an editor. Check out Lisa's work and learn more about the Edible Michiana magazine here.
International Student Panel for Professor Gerkin's Class
- 1pm – 2:15pm – Education and Arts Building
Pop-up Choir A-Capella Performance
- 1:15pm – University Grill
- Grab your lunch and explore the world from your seat in the Grill. We’ll also be treated to a pop-up performance, A Capella!
Building the American Dream Screening and Discussion
- 6pm – 8pm – Administration Building - Honors Lounge
- Join us during International Education Week as we watch Building the American Dream. This movie follows the lived experiences of three immigrant families seeking justice and equity working in the construction industry. After, we will be led in discussion by Social Work professor, Paul Mishler. While this event will be offered online as well as in person, we strongly encourage students to attend in person. Snacks will be provided for those attending in the lounge. Please email Honors Program Intern, Emilee Edmonds, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you will be attending on zoom so the link can be sent to you closer to the date! For those attending in person, be sure to check in when you arrive.
- Questions? Contact Honors Program Intern, Emilee Edmonds, at email@example.com.
(Cancelled due to weather conditions) Is Ignoring Climate Change Akin to Mass Murder?
- 6pm - Education and Arts Building – Room 1010
- Hosted by the Philosophy and Sustainability Studies Departments, come hear Dr. Milgrim speak on the troubling ethical conclusion about climate change and its effects on the globe.
- View the event flyer<https://events.iu.edu/live/files/2662-milgrim-talk-posterpdf> for more details.
Thursday – November 17
Study Abroad Table
- 10am – 3pm - Wiekamp Hall
- Stop by the table for information about study abroad trips and a sweet treat.
Friday – November 18
Queer Straight Alliance (QSA) Table: Legalizing Same-Sex Marriage in Cuba
- 12pm – 2:30pm – University Grill
- The Queer Straight Alliance will be tabling in the Grill with information and conversation about issues surrounding the legalization of same-sex marriage in neighboring Cuba.
International Pie Festival
- 12pm – 2:30 pm – University Grill
- Let’s celebrate all the things we’re thankful for with a plate of pie! You’ll learn more about why pie is one of America’s favorite desserts at Thanksgiving and throughout the year. International and Honors students will showcase their cultures with performances and demonstrations, and they’ll share memories of how they and their families give thanks.
- Sponsored by International Student Services, International Programs, ISO, SGA, and the Honors Program.
Watch for international programs presentations in classes across campus this week!