SSN and Taxes

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. You must apply in person. Do not mail your immigration documents or passport. 

The South Bend Social Security Administration office, 602 S. Michigan St. Phone: 877-326-0098 Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday, except federal holidays. The public South Bend Transpo bus can take you from IU South Bend to the down bus station which is across the street from the Social Security office.

You must be in active immigration status in order to apply for a Social Security number. Therefore new students should wait at least 10 business days after the OISS registers you in the SEVIS system. Once you apply expect to wait between 2-10 weeks for your card. Your card will be sent to the address you write on your application. If you are unsure of your local address or your address will change before your card comes, it is possible to have the card sent "in care of" the Office of International Student Services at IU South Bend, "c/o Office of International Student Services, 1700 Mishawaka Ave., P.O. Box 7111, South Bend, IN 46634-7111."

There is no charge for a Social Security Number.


Tax Filing Resources

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

(for assistance filing federal tax forms only)
100 E. Wayne St.
South Bend, IN 46601
(574) 236-8149

IRS tax information number (Free Service): 1-800-829-1040
IRS Website

  • Indiana Department of Revenue

(for assistance filing state of Indiana tax forms only)
105 E. Jefferson Blvd #350

South Bend, IN 46601

(574) 291-8270

Indiana Department of Revenue Website

Instructions for State Tax Return

In addition to a federal tax return, you may need to file a state tax returned, based upon your state of residence.

You can use the Sprintax software linked to our tax web pages to complete a state tax return, but please be aware that there is a fee for this service.

To file an electronic return go to Indiana’s free electronic filing system Infreefile and follow the instructions as prompted.

To file a paper form, go to the Indiana Individual Income Tax Forms page.  Instructions and required forms can be found in the second table.