There are two housing options available to international students studying at IU South Bend :

  1. On-campus accommodations in River Crossing - the IU South Bend housing. 
  2. Off-campus housing in a local apartment complex or rented house.

Indiana University South Bend has on-campus housing available for single students.

The units are located across the river and are a short walk across our pedestrian bridge from the rest of campus. They are also close to shopping and restaurants. The residences are close to the library, academic buildings, and the Student Activity Center. Residents enjoy a secure and respectful creative environment where you can learn across cultures and make lifelong friends. Studies show that living on campus increases success in the classroom and enhances the collegiate experience. The River Crossing residences are available to all unmarried undergraduate and graduate students (without children in residence)

One bedroom, two bedroom, and four bedroom style suites are available. The suites are furnished but students must supply their own dishes, linens, etc. The rent includes utilities, telephone and internet access. Please access the housing website for an application, rates and apartment layouts. A prepayment of $200 is required to reserve a room space. This prepayment is non-refundable, but will apply directly to your overall rent charges.  Click here for information about making the repayment by wire transfer. For more information, send Housing a message or call +1-574-520-5805 from 8am-5pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

Please contact us about housing for married students or couples and families.

If you choose not to live on campus in River Crossing, then you will need to find housing off-campus. There are numerous housing options available to you in the South Bend community, ranging from single rooms to apartment complexes to rental houses. Since IU South Bend does not manage these properties, you will be responsible for finding your own accommodations and negotiating your lease agreement and rental rates.

The OISS has free copies of a publication called the “Apartment Shoppers Guide.”  This guide provides extensive information about apartments in the South Bend/Mishawaka area. In addition, the classified advertisements in the South Bend Tribune and the off-campus link on our website have links to websites that list apartments and houses available for rent. 

Before you rent an apartment or house off-campus, make sure you understand the terms of the lease and your responsibilities.  This will help you to avoid problems later.  See the list of questions for some guidance on questions to ask and help you as you make a list of your own.  The extra time and effort put into finding your new house or apartment is small compared to trying to correct a difficult situation in the future.  Also do not forget to calculate how much you will have to pay to furnish your apartment.

Here are some resources you might find helpful along the way: