Mandatory Military Service

Mandatory Military Service

If you need to leave or have left the US for mandatory military service in your home country, you should notify OISS via e-mail at  We will respond to your e-mail with information about the actions we will take on your SEVIS record and the steps you will need to take if you choose to continue your education with Indiana University South Bend in the future.  If you have questions about this information or about leaving IU, you may also call OISS (574) 520-4419 to make an appointment with an advisor or you may email an advisor at

Once you depart the US for military service, we will terminate your SEVIS record which will end your legal F-1 status.  This means that when you are ready to resume your program of study at IU, you will need to request a new I-20 from OISS before you can return to the US.  In addition, you will need to get a new US visa.  Any student outside the US for more than 5 months will need to obtain a new US visa.  If you need to obtain a copy of your transcripts, please visit the registrar’s website to request a copy. Please note that your IU email account may expire after you are no longer enrolled as a student at IU.

Note: If you have already enrolled in courses for the next semester, you must take action to drop them.  The OISS can assist with this.  Send an email to, asking the OISS to assist with dropping all of your classes for the semester in which you will not be here any longer.  Be sure to write your full name and IUID number at the bottom of the email.  Please be aware of timing issues (Bursar, automatic W).

When you are ready to return to your program of study

When you return to IU South Bend, you will be required to attend international student orientation.  We understand that you are familiar with IU and were previously a student here.  However, immigration regulations have updates and changes and we want to be sure you are adequately prepared for success in your program and are updated with the most recent information we have since the last time you were a student at IU.  If your academic unit does not have a record of your previous results, you may also be required to take the English Proficiency Exam during orientation.

When you return to your program of study, you will need to enroll again as a full-time student. This would include summer as well. If you wish to return in the summer, you will need to enroll as a full-time student (this means you will need to enroll in at least 12 credits if you are an undergraduate student or at least 8 credits if you are a graduate student). Your full-time enrollment will need to take place in the second eight weeks of the summer term. In addition, please be advised that you will not be eligible for any off-campus employment options until you have been in status as a full-time student for at least two semesters.