Enrolled in Research Credits at IU

Overseas Research—Enrolled in Research Credits at IU

If you will be doing research overseas please call OISS at 574-520-4419 to schedule an appointment with an advisor.  If you have already left the US, please be sure to email OISS at oiss@iusb.edu to inform us of your departure.  Though you will be outside of the US, you will still need to be enrolled in research coursework appropriate to your degree program at IU South Bend while you are away.  Please check with your academic advisor for questions on course enrollment options.

For each semester that you are outside of the US

    • You will need to submit an insurance waiver if you would prefer not to have the mandatory IU health insurance coverage while you are gone.  We will be able to help you with the insurance waiver, but be sure to check your One.IU account regularly while you’re gone so that you can be sure that you’re not receiving unexpected charges.  You will need to make this request for each semester that you will be gone (no later than the first week of each semester).

    • You will be billed the international student fee each semester you are enrolled.

    • You will need to submit a copy of your overseas study contract to OISS by the end of the first week of classes during the semester in which you are overseas.

    • Please log into One.IU and update your “local” address to: ℅ Int’l Services, 1700 Mishawaka Ave. South Bend, IN 46634.  We’ll use that to update your SEVIS record.  If your academic department prefers that you use their departmental address, please update your “local” address to their address, using “℅.”  This address information will be used to update your SEVIS record.

    • Please be sure you obtain a new travel signature on your I-20 before you leave the US.  If you have already departed the US, you will need to request a travel signature before you return.  You will need to be sure you allow enough time for shipping your I-20 to OISS and for us to ship it back to you if you have already left the US.