Transfer credit you earned in high school or by examination

Earning Credit for Prior Learning

Learning can occur through many avenues. If you have work or volunteer experience, took college level courses while in high school, served in the military, participated in non-credit training, or completed certain standards exams, you might be eligible to earn college credit at IU South Bend.

A Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) assessment will help you identify and present your learning experiences and achievements in a way that helps you earn your degree faster at IU South Bend. Once completed, your CPL assessment results will appear on your IU transcript as college credit. See IU Policy ACA-60 for details.

Below are the types of experiences, training and assessment for which you can earn college credit. Click on the button below each to learn more.

Types of Credit Assessment

Military experience

Active-duty and veterans can receive college credits for educational experiences acquired during military service. Students should submit an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) with the application materials for consideration.

Learn more

Credit by examination

Credit by examination is the process of taking specific standard exams on the topics covered by your entry-level or intermediate college courses. IU South Bend recognizes the following national credit by examination programs.

Learn more

Dual enrollment

You can earn credit when you take college courses from a regionally accredited college or university while you are in high school. Generally, you must earn a grade of "C" or higher in order to transfer a course and you will need to submit an official transcript from each college or university at which you completed coursework.

Learn More

Advanced College Project (ACP)

You can earn IU college credit by completing an ACP course while in high school. The credit you earn will appear directly on your IU transcript and can be applied towards earning your degree. Each course covers the same content, has the same expectations, and gives the same credit as the course taught at the IU campus.

Learn more

Test out

Some IU degree programs allow you test out of specific courses by taking a proficiency exam. The test out process allows you to avoid taking specific courses, and in some instances, you can receive course credits.

Learn more

Military experience

Active-duty and veterans can earn college credit for training and other educational experiences in the armed services. A Joint Services Transcript (JST) should be submitted with the application materials for consideration. Visit the Joint Services Transcript website to request your JST. Submit the JST to the Office of Admissions at IU South Bend.

See IU Policy ACA-78 to learn more about transfer credit related to military service, or visit the Veterans Services website.

Credit by examinaton

    • Indiana University accepts Cambridge International A-level and AS-level test credit in accordance with university, campus, and department policies. A grade of E or higher is required for credit articulation. Some programs may require a higher score for direct equivalency credit.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

Dual enrollment

All dual credit coursework completed at any of the IU campuses is recorded on the IU transcript. Students who have completed coursework through any of the IU campuses, whether as a dual-enrolled high school student, a guest or non-degree student or a degree-seeking student will be able to see the course work for which they enrolled at any campus on a single IU transcript.